This past Sunday, I had an epiphany. What if I spent my Sundays filled with activities that are good for my soul? It is not an unheard of concept, but not many of us practice a truly restful Sunday. There are so many days that are lost to numerous loads of dishes and laundry. Chris actually helped me slow down this weekend by telling me to touch NOTHING in the house. The first couple of hours were excruciating to be honest, but slowly I started to realize how much time I spend cleaning, cooking, organizing.
Even though I spent my Sunday binge watching Love Island (yep, don’t judge me), I understood that watching TV all day is not really providing the outlet I need, from the everyday. So here is a list of things I want to do every Sunday, and what I hope they bring my life.
- Enjoy a cup of coffee with Chris, without our phones or the TV on. During the week Chris and I usually grab our cups of coffee and part ways in the house. I totally get it, because we both have work to do. However, coffee is a daily ritual I love because it fills our home with that amazing aroma and helps get me set for the day. On vacation, coffee in the morning is a quiet treat. I want that vacation feel on Sundays. I want to sit with Chris on our back porch and talk about how excited we are for the day.
- Paint or draw, literally anything. This is a very specific hobby, I know. I feel everyone has some sort of hobby that leads to creation instead of consumption in them. I am not the best artist, but when I am creating art it forces me to ignore outside noise and dive into my imagination. It is also a hobby I wouldn’t mind sharing, which is great since I spend my Sundays with Chris.
- Go on a walk, and pick up trash. This may sound like absolute hell to some…I am laughing thinking about it. I grew up with a mom that took pride in a clean neighborhood. Now, I know I said no cleaning; But it’s the one time a week you can step out and make sure your street is beautiful. I find it therapeutic to make sure my surroundings are taken care of. And if you have no desire to pick up litter, just go walk!
- Spend NO money. When was the last day you went without spending a single dollar? To be honest, if I am not actively trying to not spend money or avoiding going out, I tend to buy atleast one thing every day. Sundays are the perfect day for me to save, because I like to stay home. This makes you enjoy what you do have. Simple as that.
- Have a talk with God. I pray everyday. But most times I am praying for someone else, because I cannot even begin to sift through what I want to ask God for. My life has been turned upside down this year. I moved a wedding, lost a job, bought a home. I am incredibly blessed, but I am so worried about what the future holds for me. I truly believe spending more time praying and talking to God, will help bring me some peace.
- Light a candle and be grateful. I took a nap this weekend, and if anyone knows me they know I don’t nap. But when I woke up I had this crazy realization that I am marrying the love of my life and we bought a home. It’s easy to say you feel grateful, but when you slow down it lets those feelings really sink in. You can’t force it, but I bet if you light your favorite candle and sit in quietness for 10-20 minutes, you will start to realize how amazing your life is.